500 SERIES MULTI-BAND COMPRESSOR / ENHANCER
The Standard Audio Stretch is a 500-series dynamic compressor/EQ module inspired by modified noise reduction units from the 1970’s and 80’s.
We analyzed classic Noise Reduction designs, modifications, and the methods of use. Then we designed the Stretch from the ground up to enable the modern engineer/producer to easily recreate those classic techniques and take them even farther. Add air and sparkle to vocals, punch and bite to drums or guitars, add sub to bass or synths, sweeten and add air to acoustic guitars and strings.
The Stretch splits incoming audio signals into 4 frequency bands:
• LF, below 120Hz
• MF, between 120Hz and 3kHz
• HF3, above 3kHz
• HF9, above 9kHz
Each band has an analog dynamics processor with time constants and compression ratios tailored to its frequency range. The Stretch’s 4 frequency bands can be configured in 7 combinations via the front panel Filter/Compression push-button. Two orange LEDs indicate which frequency bands are active. The Engage push-button activates a relay bypass. The Mix knob controls how much of the processed signal is blended with the original.
The Stretch is truly unique and can inject life and depth in a truly unique way that EQ and compression individually cannot replicate.
AT A GLANCE
• Input signal split into four frequency bands that are individually processed
• Filter/Compression pushbutton cycles through 7 different filter combinations
• 100% analog signal path. High-fidelity/high-reliability amplifier circuit and component selection
• Filter/Compression pushbutton LED indicates when any active frequency band is compressing
• Input Control: Set input gain to achieve the desired amount of compression
• Mix Control: Blend the processed signal with the un-processed input to vary the amount of effect
• Output Control: A post-Mix Output Control allows the level to be set without altering the mix blend
SOME RECOMMENDED USES
• Add sparkle and air to Vocals (Lead and Background)
• Add low punch and/or bite to Drums (Kick, Snare, Toms, Rooms)
• Pull bite out of or add consistent sub to a bass guitar
• Sweeten and add air to acoustic guitar and strings
• Parallel process busses (even mix buss!) and add excitement and depth that cannot be replicated with any other available compressor or EQ combination.
THE WORD AROUND THE STUDIO
“Just wanted to let you guys know that your units can be heard on the number one and number two album in the country right now: Muse and Of Monsters and Men.”
“Haven’t used my Dolby since I got the STRETCH!”
“I love the Level-Or MK2 – It keeps everything I love about the original while lowering the noise and the additional options open up all new sounds. The new instrument DI sounds killer on synths and I love the additional release options, but most importantly it now matches my STRETCH units! It’s really awesome.”